First Days

Well, these first couple of days had their ups and downs…

I woke up on Monday morning, and it was very strange waking up so early in a new place with new faces. When we got to the site at 8:30, it was hot already, and I didn’t feel very well at all. But, I shook it off, and started digging in Arianne’s trench and was soon feeling just fine. There were some cool finds on site that day…

Screenshot_2014-08-13-23-15-53And I found some teeth, bones, lots of pottery, and a stylized piece of lead- it was so cool! But, I didn’t drink enough water, so I felt exhausted and had a headache, so I went to bed early and kind of upset, and not looking forward to more days on the hot, hot site.

But on Tuesday, Ashleigh, Laura, and a woman named Kimberly who I hadn’t met yet were on pottery, so we got to dress in clean (!) clothes, stay at the house, and clean and label pottery. You wash it with water and a little scrubby brush, and then label it by putting a tiny coat of clear nail polish in a corner, label it with the info about what dig, site, etc abbreviated, with a fountain pen and ink, and then put another coat of nail polish on top. It sounds tedious, but I enjoyed it, and it gave us all a chance to chat and know each other better.

20140812_162635This is the box we worked on!

Tuesday night was just wonderful! When everyone came back from the site, Ashleigh,  Laura, Alistair, Stefanie,  Grainne,  and I walked down the street in Pollena and stopped for gelato. I got lemon, and it was sooo good!

Screenshot_2014-08-13-23-15-33That’s me and Stefanie enjoying ourselves! We continued down the street and bought food to make a dinner together. We made risotto and chicken, and it was so good!

20140812_20133620140812_201324It was such an enjoyable dinner, and it seemed to make us all fast friends! Later, more people join us outside,  and we drank some wine and other alcohol and played games into the night. It really seemed like a bonding experience, and it made me so much more at ease about being here, and was restful enough after my hard day the day before, that I was really looking forward to going back to work the day before! It was just wonderful. I’ve been having such a good time being social that I haven’t been able to keep up with my blogging, which is a pretty good problem to have. Wednesday and Thursday coming soon! 🙂


3 thoughts on “First Days

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s